Sunday, May 19, 2019

Summer of Gödel - Season 2 - What do you think?

The first post on this blog was entitled "I just want to understand the proof of Gödel's incompleteness theorems". Sadly, this is a goal that I have yet to reach.

Six years ago, after many years of trying to understand the proofs of these two theorems, I found Peter Smith's book and decided to try to blog about it over one summer. Somehow, after covering the first 9 chapters (which make up less than one third of the book), I gave up. Again.

One reason I started the blog was the possibility that a community of readers might form around discussions of this book or more generally the theorems themselves. Such a group effort, I hoped, would boost my motivation and help provide the stamina needed to get through the book.

This community did not emerge, even though I have consistently had at least 5 to 10 daily readers.

So let me repeat a quote from my first post:
[...] if you stumble upon this blog and would like to comment, fill in some blanks in my understanding, add reading suggestions, argue with my interpretations, etc., please be my guest. I would love to share my passion for GIT with fellow enthusiasts.
The reason for this new post is a question that I received from a reader recently, which led me to open the book again.

So, I am thinking about blogging again about these cool theorems and the great book that Peter Smith wrote about them.

If you are interested in a second season, starting with chapter 10, of the Summer of Gödel (six years after the first one!), do not hesitate to let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment